Mozilla l10n Urdu volunteers gathered in Malaysia from 4th January 2020 to 6th January 2020. Out of 8 invited members, only 6 could reach the event which includes Umer Tanveer (Pakistan), Tanzeel Khan (India), Faisal Aziz (India), Mahtaab Alam (India), Aamir Raza(India) and. Shahbaz Alam (India)
Adeel Tahir (Pakistan) & Musaeb Khan (Pakistan) were not able to join because of unforeseen visa & travel issues caused at the last minute.
In our preliminary call, we recognized the problem of the Urdu language as well as the community. To overcome challenges we need community on the same page. A detailed discussion took place which helped us to make our Agenda and goals for this meeting. Following are the area we focused on:
- Project Priorities & focus areas
- Accountability Matrix for contributors
- Project Resources & Urdu Language Glossary
- Team Collaboration & Communication
- Team Expansion
- Roles Definition
Project Priorities & focus areas
In Project Priorities and focus area, we discussed about the importance of the project as per the Policy of Mozilla. We organized and distributed project as per priority assigned by Mozilla
Accountability Matrix for contributors
We designed and Developed some Matrix or in simple words criteria to judge the performance of a contributor. In this, we all agreed that performance cannot be measured by number of strings but it should be measured by Quality of string.
Team Collaboration & Communication
To enhance team communication and collaboration we planned to organize a monthly call to keep track of localization projects and goals.
In the past, our Urdu localization community have no recognition system. Contributors keep working but not recognized. We planned to recognize contributors by recognizing new translators by social media and giving swags upon achieving goals (if they retain) for a defined time.
Team Expansion & On-Boarding
All of the participants agreed on expanding our team and we agreed on the goal of 30% expansion from the current level. We will try to expand or increase the team and try to retain it in future.
With detailed discussion, we managed to organize this ownership table according to priority of Mozilla. From now onward Firefox project will be responsibility of every contributor and translator. While other project details are as follow
- On boarding of new members should pass a test of approx 100 words so that we can judge that the translation will be done with a certain precision.
- Font needs to be changed to Nastaleeq, initially to mozilla.org and then, later on, all the projects.
- Creation of Style guide and Guideline
- Pontoon Info Page & Pontoon Wiki Page Update
- We prepared a glossary so that the consistency of the projects will be maintained. And the same glossary would be helpful for the new members contributing.
- Yearly Plan Development
QUALITY TIME IN KUALA LUMPUR
In the end i would like to thank our host and Mozilla staff for constant support and showing trust on us